Friday, September 10, 2004

CNN: Rather stands by story

I was in my West Wing doghouse and just saw this on my flatscreen TV while watching CNN. It's Dan Rather, talking about allegedly faked documents:

“I know that this story is true. I believe the witnesses and the documents are authentic,” Rather said. “We wouldn't have gone to air if they had not been. There isn't going to be an. ... apology. Not even discused, nor should it be.”

Earlier pooper scooper offer still stands.

UPDATE (Sept. 10, 2004) — From "Wolf Blizter Reports" on CNN. Quickie transcripts (a dog can only type so fast).



"I want to emphasize: I stand by my president. We are in a time of war, and I stand behind my president. There is not joy in reporting such a story, but my job as a journalist is not to be afraid, and when we come with facts, and legitimate questions supported by witnesses and documents that we believe to be authentic, to raise those questions no matter how unpleasant they are."

"They [the White House] have not answered the question of did or did the president not obey or obey an order? Was he or was he not suspended for failure to meet performance standards of the Air Force? If he didn't take the physical, why didn't he take the physical?"

"The story is true. The story is true. The questions raised in the story are serious and legitimate questions."

Dan Rather, CBS anchor


"[Rather] is in a postion where he needs to answer where he got this information ... the question is whether Dan Rather is working as an arm of the Kerry campaign."

Ben Ginsberg,
former attorney, Bush-Cheney campaign



"[Rather] makes a very compelling case that these documents are real."

Howard Wolfson
DNC adviser